There has been an opening for a PhD position in formal semantics and pragmatics, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness.
We are looking for a candidate who has a strong record, has completed an MA in linguistics (or similar), is interested in (formal) semantics and (experimental) pragmatics, and has some command of Spanish and/or Basque as well as fluency in English.
The offer is a 4-year contract to be carried out at the University of the Basque Country in Vitoria-Gasteiz, with a yearly salary of €16,400 before taxes.
The main goal of this contract is for the young researcher to complete his/her dissertation in a topic within the following domains:
– Interaction between meaning types (at issue, implicature, presupposition)
– Discourse structure
The PhD candidate is going to work within the project “SOBRE LA INTERACCIÓN ENTRE TIPOS DE SIGNIFICADO: COMPOSICIONALIDAD Y ESTRUCTURA DEL DISCURSO” (FFI2015-66732-P), hosted at the University of the Basque Country, which includes 3 senior researchers (Elena Castroviejo -Principal Investigator-, Laia Mayol and Berit Gehrke) and a PhD student (Zoltan Zato).
More information about the project:
The young researcher is expected to:
- Commit to completing his/her dissertation in 4 years.
- Enroll in the PhD Program in Linguistics at the University of the Basque Country.
- Actively participate in the scientific activities organized by the Group of Theoretical Linguistics (HiTT) and the PhD program (courses, seminars, reading groups, workshops, etc.).
- Go to approx. 2 research stays in prestigious international institutions (to be decided depending on the topic of dissertation).
- Take part in additional educational activities (e.g. summer schools, conferences, etc.).
- Present his/her own work at the HiTT seminar and in conferences (in due time).
- Full commitment towards his/her education and completion of dissertation.
- Research and economic support to carry out scientific activities.
- A dynamic and laid-back scientific environment.
This is a competitive 2-phase procedure. First, the candidate must upload his/her application along with some documents, including CV, MA certificate, and ID. This process will determine whether the candidate is eligible. In a second phase, the Principle Investigator of the project will evaluate and rate the different applications, and propose a first and second candidates.
– deadline of application: September 27th, 2016
– estimated starting date: January 1st, 2017
We encourage any interested candidates to contact Elena Castroviejo (email@example.com) as soon as possible if they intend to apply.