On November 2 and 3, 2016, Zoltan and Elena were lucky enough to attend the workshop ‘Word meaning: Interdisciplinary Themes‘, organized by Ikerbasque Professor Agustín Vicente and his group of researchers (Marina Ortega, Begoña Vicente and Dan Zeman). This event, held at the University of the Basque Country in Vitoria-Gasteiz, gathered topnotch linguists, philosophers, and psychologists (see here) to discuss how rich the meaning of words is and how to account for the lack of a one-to-one mapping between lexical items and meanings.
There has been an opening for a PhD position in formal semantics and pragmatics, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness.
We are looking for a candidate who has a strong record, has completed an MA in linguistics (or similar), is interested in (formal) semantics and (experimental) pragmatics, and has some command of Spanish and/or Basque as well as fluency in English.
The offer is a 4-year contract to be carried out at the University of the Basque Country in Vitoria-Gasteiz, with a yearly salary of €16,400 before taxes.
The main goal of this contract is for the young researcher to complete his/her dissertation in a topic within the following domains:
– Interaction between meaning types (at issue, implicature, presupposition)
– Discourse structure
The PhD candidate is going to work within the project “SOBRE LA INTERACCIÓN ENTRE TIPOS DE SIGNIFICADO: COMPOSICIONALIDAD Y ESTRUCTURA DEL DISCURSO” (FFI2015-66732-P), hosted at the University of the Basque Country, which includes 3 senior researchers (Elena Castroviejo -Principal Investigator-, Laia Mayol and Berit Gehrke) and a PhD student (Zoltan Zato).
More information about the project:
The young researcher is expected to:
- Commit to completing his/her dissertation in 4 years.
- Enroll in the PhD Program in Linguistics at the University of the Basque Country.
- Actively participate in the scientific activities organized by the Group of Theoretical Linguistics (HiTT) and the PhD program (courses, seminars, reading groups, workshops, etc.).
- Go to approx. 2 research stays in prestigious international institutions (to be decided depending on the topic of dissertation).
- Take part in additional educational activities (e.g. summer schools, conferences, etc.).
- Present his/her own work at the HiTT seminar and in conferences (in due time).
- Full commitment towards his/her education and completion of dissertation.
- Research and economic support to carry out scientific activities.
- A dynamic and laid-back scientific environment.
This is a competitive 2-phase procedure. First, the candidate must upload his/her application along with some documents, including CV, MA certificate, and ID. This process will determine whether the candidate is eligible. In a second phase, the Principle Investigator of the project will evaluate and rate the different applications, and propose a first and second candidates.
– deadline of application: September 27th, 2016
– estimated starting date: January 1st, 2017
We encourage any interested candidates to contact Elena Castroviejo (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible if they intend to apply.
If you are interested in applying for a PhD position to conduct a dissertation within the Meaning Types project (see more info here), the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO) will open a call for positions
any time at the beginning of September (see info here). The program is called “Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores 2016“.
The successful researcher will sign a contract with the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), will be based in Vitoria-Gasteiz, will start the PhD program in Linguistics at the UPV/EHU, and will have a 4-year monthly salary to carry out research in the domains of semantics and pragmatics, and to actively participate in the activities organized by the Basque Research Group of Theoretical Linguistics (HiTT).
To learn how to apply, check the link here. This is a two-phase process. First, the researcher submits his/her application, and then there is a selection based on the CV of the candidate and the suitability to the project.
Contact us if you have any doubts, and stay tuned!